Sunday, May 16, 2010

Carter & Stevens, Barre, Massachusetts


This weekend while we were camping in West Central Massachusetts I thought that we would have no problem finding a local farm/farm store for me to review. I was wrong. We found Carter & Stevens Farm Store by (happy) happenstance. It  is located on Route 122 in Barre, MA, a small picturesque town that isn't really easy to get to.

C&S is family owned and run by the Stevens/Dubois family. Little did I know the woman I was chatting with at the store about their inability to take cards was Farmer Mo. Next time I plan on chatting with her, oh forever. The Farm Store opened as a way for the farm to directly service the public. Their farm is over 1,000 acres of undeveloped land. It was wonderful to see.

We spent a few hours here, but honestly we could have stayed all day. I also could have easily spent hundreds of dollars at their store. As it was I spent less than $20 on local bread, cheese, eggs, milk, and a freshly baked cookie. Stay tuned for reviews of those products - I can tell you the eggs were delicious. They also had local beer and wine, grass fed beef, lots of cheese, local sodas, chips, seriously everything you could want. There are also animals to see and touch.

Their cows are grass fed, are not treated with any hormones or antibiotics, and spend all day out in the pasture. The eggs I got came directly from the chicken nests. I plucked them out while a gigantic rooster was crowing at me. Their ice cream is freshly made using their milk and the sample I had was possibly one of the best I've ever had.

I can not wait to go back here later on in the summer. During the summer they also have organic vegetables for sale. This weekend they only had rhubarb and fiddleheads, neither of which I bought.

No comments:

Post a Comment