Monday, May 10, 2010

Shaw Farm, Dracut, Massachusetts

Our first stop is probably the closest - Shaw Farm in Dracut, MA.

We signed up for an informal tour and basically got to walk in the barn while I peppered the tour guide, and owner/farmer with questions. The cows were eating their dinner of hay.

  • Only the organic cows go outside. The regular cows only go out for a certain period of time when they are pregnant.
  • The organic cows were not treated with antibiotics and if they were their milk was tested and dumped until it was free of any residue.
  • The organic cows were not allowed to eat anything but organic food and no corn.
  • The regular cows had corn (I stepped on a corn cob).
  • The regular milk cows never went outside. I asked why. The answer? "They'll ruin the farm."
  • The cows had what I thought was a comb/back scratcher hanging above them. I asked if it was a comb, he said no, a training tool.
From this experience I am choosing not to buy milk from this farm. Will I find a place? My husband thinks the answer is no. "You're living in a dream world!" We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment